Wednesday, January 19, 2005

In the "New World" (Mexico)

Well, I have certainly done a terrible job of keeping up on the blog after returning to normal life. But this trip presents a new opportunity for redemption.

Yes, I am in Mexico! Cancun to be exact. Just arrived this afternoon but I plan on leaving this awful town by tomorrow. I am on this trip as a sort of last hurrah before starting a more serious life back in Eugene, whatever that is suppose to me. I´ll let you decide.

Cecily is meeting me here tonight for a 2 week vacation of beaches, temples, diving, and anything else we can think of. Probably a few cervesas will be involved.
Cancun is anything but a Mexican town. I did manage to take the public bus from the airport into downtown with mostly locals and a couple of Italian girls. The just arrived after 30 hours of travel from Bologna, which included an overnight in the NY airport. I remember those days......
The bus is about the most Mexican thing I have observed yet. This place is overrun with Gringoisms. Just on the short drive to town we passed a Walmart, a Home Depot, and an Outback Steakhouse. Huh? Who wants to eat there when you´re in Mexico. I´m just waiting for the Taco Bell around the corner. Phew, thank god for the little luxuries, I wouldn´t want to go somewhere different. I do understand that this is what Cancun is - a playground for tourists who don´t want to experience local culture. Get me outta here ASAP!
Tomorrow we may head for Isla Mujeres or perhaps just jump on a bus for anywhere else.
Anybody with suggestions please email them to me as apparently internet is no problem here.

hasta manana

Shula

No comments: